When I got the bike, the master cylinder for the front disk and the lever for the rear brake were both frozen. The rear lever was simply a matter of penetrating oil and patience. The front was a bit more involved. I tried to force the piston out of the master cylinder with a grease gun (typically very effective in pushing brake components apart) but it wasn't budging. So I finally ended up drilling a hole in the piston, tapping threads into it, and pulling it out by screwing a bolt into it. I cleaned up the master cylinder body, including opening up one of the holes in the bottom of it. Rebuild kits are still available for these (Try Yoyodyne or MG Cycle) so I ordered one and then sent the master cylinder out to be anodized.

The caliper was also pulled apart, cleaned up, and sent out to be anodized. As it turns out, this was probably a mistake. As I'm not too concerned with originality, it actually would have been cheaper for me to buy a new Brembo F08 caliper! If I hadn't already bought the parts to rebuild what I have, I would have ordered a new caliper from Yoyodyne. But at the time, the only replacement calipers I knew of were somewhat expensive (as were the rebuild kits).

The anodizing was done as a favor by a friend of friend. The price was right (freebie!) but it took about a year to get them back. The quality is fine for what I'm doing, but if I were doing a serious "restoration" I'd be a little bummed. The black isn't all that deep, sort of gray looking actually. Not complaining here, just pointing it out to someone who might be expecting more. In fact I was warned it might not turn out that great before they were done.

The rotor was in pretty poor shape from years of sitting. Rather than try to recondition it, I bought a new one from Road and Race in Australia.

The rear brakes were in pretty good shape, other then the lever, so the only work I needed to do there was to clean everything up.

I got a braided front brake line from Bevel Heaven that has a black outer covering to look more "stock" but does away with the small steel line used on the stock set-up. It was too long for my set up so I sent it back to Galfer who shortened it up for me for a very reasonable price. Steve has since modified his specs for the lines so they should fit better than mine did. I should also point out I'm using lower bars than stock, so I was expecting the line to be a little long.